At some point in life, we all have to deal with acne. It may appear on any body part. It is the most common skin condition. If you are a teenager or an adult, there are pretty good chances that you will have some though it affects people from every age group. Like face acne, back acne is also very common in people. However, if you also have back acne then you must be aware of the fact that it is tougher to treat it as compared to face acne. In order to understand the causes and prevention for the back acne first, we must know about acne and its types.
What is acne?
Acne is a condition in which the tiny pores of your skin become clogged with oil, dead skin cells, dirt or bacteria. It mostly occurs during the puberty, when the sebaceous glands get activated. These glands produce oil and the pores can get clogged if there is too much sebum and dead cells. The bacteria can get trapped inside which further causes swelling or redness and initiates the acne.
Types of acne
There are a few types of acne, however, here are the most common ones.
- Whiteheads- Whiteheads are also referred to as closed comedones which are formed beneath your skin forming a white bump. These contain bacteria and have a tiny opening at the top of your skin.
- Blackheads- Blackheads are usually referred to as open comedones. These consist of follicles beneath your skin. They have a large opening as compared to whiteheads.
- Papules- Papules appear as small pink bumps on the skin which are often tender.
- Pustules- Pustules may be of white or yellow colour puss- filled papule having a red base.
- Nodules- Nodules occur below your skin surface, they may be hard, large and painful.
- Cysts- Cysts are puss-filled acne which can be painful and possibly leave a scar on the skin.
Also, read this: Have a Healthy Lifestyle to Get a Good Oral Health
Back acne is also termed as “bacne” and these are more of a challenge. In order to cope up with acne, you must know the root causes so that effective preventive measure can be taken accordingly. First, get to know some of the common causes which can lead to the bacne.
A heavy workout can contribute to frequent acne breakouts if you are being too lazy to take a shower. While exercising or overexertion, the sweat gets in contact with the oil and toxins present on the skin surface. Due to this, the pores can get clogged resulting in acne.
If you are in habit of wearing tight fitting clothes which do not allow your skin to breathe, it can also result in acne. Tight fitting clothes constantly produce heat and friction which can irritate the skin causing outbreaks.
Not cleaning back properly:
Though it can be hard to clean back properly, it is very important to wash your skin in order to prevent acne outbreaks. However taking a shower more than once or twice a day can irritate your skin. Shampoos or conditioners are also one of the culprits which can result in acne. These products contain sulphate which can trigger the back acne.
Acne mechania is the most common form of bacne. It is generally caused if there is constant irritation on the skin resulted by the backpacks, clothes or weightlifting machines. Acne mechania usually occurs when the clothes or backpack does not enable your skin to breathe and moisture or sweat gets locked up on the skin surface.
Your clothes and sheets are constantly in the contact of your skin. If you are lazy in doing your laundry on time, you are more likely to get affected by bacne. As these materials can absorb the oils and dirt from the skin surface and provide a breeding ground for bacteria.
For a majority of the acne sufferers, this trouble starts at the puberty. At this age, the body begins to produce hormones which cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge and overstimulate. Due to which most the teenagers face the problem of acne.
Temperature is not Moderate:
It is a much-known factor that cold water tightens the skin pores which does not allow natural sebum secretion. Whereas, the hot water opens pores and stimulates excess sebum production. So, showering with the lukewarm water is the best option.
It is rightly said if there is a problem the solution also lies within the problem. Likewise, the preventive measure also lies in these causes only. Let’s take a look at some of the preventive measures which could possibly reduce the bacne.
- Always wear clothes which are made up of breathable fabric and should not irritate the skin surface by producing any friction. Your skin should b able to breathe.
- Always clean your back properly while taking a shower. It is recommended to use mild soap which does not leave your skin dry or oily. Avoid oily products in excess. Also, use the shampoo or conditioners which are sulphate free.
- Clean your bed sheets regularly at least once a week. Wash your gym clothing regularly to prevent any type of skin irritation.
- Add antioxidants to your diet and avoid excessive oily food. Introduce citrus fruits and green vegetables.
Reduce stress and practice yoga or meditation. This helps to maintain the hormonal balance and can reduce the acne breakout.
- Do not touch or pop the acne. Most of the people, especially teenagers have this habit of popping the acne. Due to touching, the bacteria or the oil spreads which triggers the acne to the other body parts as well.
Acne can be reduced if timely action is taken, however, if the acne is extremely painful and prolonged you should visit a doctor and take a prescription.
Taking care of yourself is much important than anything as a healthy mind resides in a healthy body. Living a healthy lifestyle which includes eating a balanced diet, doing physical activity, practicing yoga or meditation to reduce stress is the key to live without having any complication in life. Acne can be reduced if timely action is taken, however, if the acne is extremely painful and prolonged you should visit a doctor and take a prescription.
Wish Health is an online health portal which can help you in searching the best doctors. Our online portal will help you connect with the best doctors in a convenient way.